Styling Tips & Tricks – Reception Edition :
Styling any event is very subjective and every couple will have their own unique idea of what they want their most memorable day to look like. We have put together a list of tips and tricks to focus on to make sure your reception is exactly what you wished for, while keeping your wallet in check. You’re just planning the biggest party of your life; no pressure, right?!
- Pick a Style & Stick with It – It is so easy to get overwhelmed with the variety of choices we have now-a-days when it comes to planning the look of your special day. The best place to start is picking a style and color palette that represents you and your love story. This decision will be echoed through all aspects of planning your wedding, everything from the save the date stationary to the floral arrangements. Sticking with your plan will make the reception styling process much easier when discussing linens, tablescapes and signage.
- Timeless is Better than Trendy – Do you remember looking at your parent’s wedding photos and being blown away by the hair and ensemble choices? Save your future self the embarrassment and stick with style choices that are everlasting. You want to be able to look back at your wedding twenty years from now and feel good about the style decisions you made. Trends change all the time, focus on timeless style decisions. If you do choose to embrace something trendy, moderation is crucial.
- Light It Up – A common forgotten aspect of reception styling is the lighting. Once your venue is chosen you will want to make sure you visit your reception hall at the time of year and time of day that your event will be held so that you can see what kind of light you’ll be working with. For a dimmer room you’ll want to use lighter colors or metallics to distribute the light, whereas for a light room you can use bolder colors. For darker times of the year, more light can be added in the ways of floor spot lights and LED string lights; if done correctly you will gain the needed illumination without compromising any elegance.
- Repurpose Bouquets – Flowers can be a costly addition to your special day but there is no reason to leave them at the altar. Your bridesmaids’ bouquets can be used as the arrangements for the bridal party table as with your bridal bouquet for the sweetheart table. Just set up vases with water in place with the rest of your tablescape for when you arrive at your table.
- Keep it simple – If you’re feeling overwhelmed with your table styling, consider investing in statement pieces like uncommon cutlery, crystal glassware or napkins with a unique print. It is also important to not overload your tables, there needs to be ample space for guests to eat and set down their drinks.
- Use all of the Venue – Consider how you can work with the room’s existing décor. Most of the wedding venues these days have quality furnishings that reflect the vibe of the location. If the tables happen to be a beautiful farmhouse style that suits your overall motif, save your money and skip the table cloth.
If you’re still struggling to pin down how you’d like your reception to look, we are here to help. Curious about a styling consult? Click here!