Photo by Lauren Dobish Photography
Want to incorporate your pet into your wedding?
If you’re an animal lover, and particularly if you have pets of your own, we know how important they are to you. They are part of the family! When you’re getting married, it may seem weird to have such a momentous day go by without having them involved in some way.
While it may not always be practical to have your pet physically attend your ceremony or reception, there are lots of great ideas for paying homage to the little fuzzy loves of your life. Just a few examples include:
- Stationary- Pets make the perfect addition to your engagement announcement (“Our Pawrents are Getting Hitched!”), Save the Dates, or Thank You notes. Even a formal wedding invitation could include a shadowed outline of your dog’s breed, or a tiny kitten paw stamp to seal the envelope.
- Themed décor -The possibilities are endless! A porcelain cat cake topper, feathers in your bouquet matching your pet bird, “fish kisses and well wishes” (bubbles with a picture of your pet fish on the bottle for people to use when you walk down the aisle or exit your reception), or snakeskin print shoes (faux, of course) in honor of your reptilian friend. Framed pictures displayed of your pet alongside your other important family members if you have a photograph table is always a nice idea. A great way to calm your nerves before walking down the aisle may be to have a picture of your pet attached to your bouquet for you to glance at and smile.
- Photoshoot- Ask your photographer if you can incorporate your pet into your engagement photoshoot if you are having one, or even set aside some time during your reception to sneak a few pics.
If you plan to have your pet be physically present on your wedding day, there are a few important things to think of:
- Your pet’s temperament- Maybe you don’t have a problem in a crowd of people, but they might! The excitement of the day and crowd of loud people may spook some pets who aren’t used to being around a lot of humans, and you won’t have the time to sit with them and calm them. If you have any doubts about their reaction or if you have a fear of them snapping at anyone, we would recommend some training sessions beforehand!
- Someone to watch over them- Our friend Danielle Engel at For the Love of Paws offers wedding pet planning services that include pre-wedding training, spa treatments, transportation to and from your event for your pet, and most importantly someone who will make your pet their priority so you can relax and enjoy yourselves! In addition to helping with wedding day activities, she will also help with inclusion of your pet in a proposal or photo shoot. Did we mention she is a dog trainer and super sweet?!
- Your guests- Although we are true animal lovers at heart, we do understand that sometimes people are violently allergic or have had an experience which causes them to be afraid of animals. People are also going to be wearing their finest clothing, so try to make sure that during your planning you are accounting for your pet’s whereabouts the entire day and not just during the ceremony if that’s where you will be incorporating them. You don’t want to have them wandering around, eating forbidden food, jumping up on guests, causing a hazard on the dance floor, or running away to hide from the noise!
Luckily, no matter how you choose to incorporate your best little buddy, they will love you just as much as ever because animals are awesome and love you no matter what! We love your furry friends too, so don’t forget to hire us as your trusted Day of Coordinator! Contact us here.